The Study Loan (SL) is a means-tested Government loan scheme, and complements the Tuition Fee Loan (TFL). The SL provides loans to cover up to the remaining 10% of tuition fees not covered by the TFL. It does not cover any other miscellaneous fees.
Singapore University of Social Sciences (SUSS) has appointed DBS Bank Ltd as the agent to administer the SL Scheme.
The SL is available to subsidised Singapore Citizens pursuing MOE-subsidised undergraduate degree programmes at the University, who have applied for the TFL or a loan with any registered government organisation. The students must also meet the income criteria of gross monthly household per capita income of S$2,700 or below.
The loan quantum available is based on student's Gross Monthly Household Per Capita Income (PCI):
|Loan Type||Tier 1 Study Loan |
(waiver of interest)
|Tier 2 Study Loan |
|Income Criteria||Gross Monthly Household Per Capita Income* ≤ S$950||Gross Monthly Household Per Capita Income* > S$950 and ≤ S$2,700|
|Maximum Quantum of Loan||Maximum of 20% of subsidised tuition fees payable||Maximum of 10% of subsidised tuition fees payable|
* Monthly household per capita income is computed based on total gross income of immediate and non-immediate family members over the total number of immediate and non-immediate family members.
You would need a guarantor to apply for SL. Although there is no income qualification, your guarantor must be:
- A Singapore Citizen
- Between 21 and 60 years
- Not a bankrupt
The repayment terms are as follows:
- Repayment of the loan commences not later than 6 months after graduation or upon graduates securing employment, whichever is earlier.
- The minimum amount of repayment is $100 per month and the maximum repayment periods are:
- Study loan (waiver of interest): 5 years from commencement of first repayment
- Study loan (with interest payment): 20 years from commencement of first repayment
- In the event that the borrower leaves the University without completing the programme, the loan outstanding will immediately become due and payable. The borrower may, however, repay the outstanding sum by monthly instalments on such terms and conditions as stipulated by the University.
For students under Tier 1 Study Loan scheme, interest is waived during the repayment period of 5 years. Interest will start accruing if repayment is made beyond the 5-year period.
For students under Tier 2 Study Loan scheme, interest will start accruing on the first (1st) day of the third (3rd) month following the borrower's graduation.
The interest on SL is accrued on a monthly basis and is computed based on the average prime rates of the three local banks, namely DBS, OCBC and UOB, prevailing on the first day of each quarter or such other rates as may be determined from time to time by the bank.
How to Apply
- To apply, submit the online SL Application Form and the required supporting documents before the stipulated deadlines.
- If your application is successful, you will be notified by the University within 14 working days on the outcome of the application via email (note: only successful applicants will be notified).
- Upon receiving the email notification from the University, both you and your guarantor are required to sign the Study Loan Agreement at the University's Administration Office in person before the date indicated in the email notification.
- You are also required to bring along the original copy of the supporting documents (which you have submitted online) on the day of signing the Study Loan Agreement. Upon signing the Study Loan Agreement, the University will notify you via email the balance of the course fee amount payable by you, i.e. total course fee payable less your Tuition Fee Loan, Study Loan and any other loan taken to finance the subsidised tuition fees.
- The University will then update DBS on your successful Study Loan application and you should receive an annual statement from the bank for your reference.
Applications submitted without the complete set of supporting documents will be deemed as incomplete and will not be processed.
Deadline for SL Application
|Semester||Start Date of Application||Submission Deadline|
|July Semester ||1 March||31 May|
|January Semester||1 September||30 November|
- DBS Bank
Tel : +65 6333 0033
- Singapore University of Social Sciences
Tel: +65 6248 9777 (Prospective students)
Tel: +65 6248 9111 (Current students)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
View FAQs on MOE Study Loan.